Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Country Boy Q&A: Rodney Atkins

They don’t consider me glitzy. They say it’s the flyover states that relate to me. I’ll take that any day of the week.”


Rodney Atkins signs autographs for fans at Richmond.
Credit: Getty Images for Crown Royal

By Marty Smith
Country Boy Casserole
I was driving down the highway one evening a couple years back, when Rodney Atkins’ ‘If You’re Going Through Hell,’ came upon the radio in my pickup truck. That’s where I best relate to most music, in my pickup truck. I generally don’t hear it until I listen to it in the seat of my Chevrolet.
Immediately I appreciated Atkins’ approach. It was country and it wasn’t pretentious. It had a blue collar feel to it. And I found myself pumping my fist, which for me is a decent-enough barometer for what’s legit and what gets tuned-out or turned off.
It wasn’t the least bit surprising that the song ultimately went to Number One on the country chart, either. It carried a hard-driving message to folks mired in a tough moment, a never-give-up anthem that the common man could grasp.
Atkins has since followed up that single with several more of similar ilk, songs regular folks hear and think, ‘Yep, that’s me.’ Again, I appreciate that.
So when I had the opportunity recently to hang out with Atkins just prior to a prerace concert at Richmond International Raceway, I figured I should take advantage. He’s a good ol’ boy. He looks you in the eye when he talks to you and shakes your hand like he means it. That goes a long way with me. It’s how my daddy taught me. And I’m aware when it happens and when it doesn’t.
So with that, here you go… Country Boy Q&A: Rodney Atkins.
CBC: How would you describe the challenge of trying to make it in Nashville for an aspiring artist?
RA: The best advice I’ve ever heard, which most people say about anything: Don’t quit. It’s very important in Nashville, because people get lost in the trend – what is the trend? – and start chasing what is on the radio.
If something different comes along… for example, when we had the ‘Going’ Through Hell’ album, I remember folks coming up and asking for those kinds of songs, songs that sounded like that. My goal is to not do what I’ve done before, but to figure out what that is, that territory, stick your flag in it and own it.
And I want people to come to hear my music because they know they can’t get that specific kind of music anywhere else. The biggest thing is figuring out who you are and owning it.
CBC: How hard is that to do, though? Because I understand that various labels tend to make artists who they aren’t a lot of times, in the effort to get to radio. How hard is it to stick to your guns?
RA: I’ve had that photo shoot. I’ve recorded those songs, where I’m going, ‘What in the hell am I signing? This is not me. I can’t relate to this.’
I think it really comes down to finding that song, or songs. You can’t have just one song. It’s got to be more than one. But if it says what you want it to say, and it has that criteria, then put your heart and soul into that and make sure it knocks them out, and they’ll get it. They’ll buy into that and support that.
CBC: You discussed sticking your flag into something… Seems to me your flag is stuck into the blue collar working man theme. It permeates what you do…
RA: It kind of is. But I really think it comes down to being human. And I know that’s vague. But when I say that, it’s songs about not being perfect, about real-life, real-marriage. It’s not all blue skies and no bills, man. It’s get down in the ditches and let that septic tank back up a few times, and have to dig it up yourself in the middle of the rain, and figure out where the sump pump is. That’s real-life.
The single we have out right now is called ‘Take a Back Road.’ The first time I heard that song I thought it was a just a summertime jam. But then I realized it was a much deeper thing, almost a spiritual thing, about coming back down to Earth, getting grounded, getting to where you can relax and be yourself. That’s what a lot of my songs are.
‘These Are My People,’ is one of those songs, and has a line that says, ‘It ain’t always pretty, but it’s real.’ When you’re good with yourself, it doesn’t have to be perfect. That’s the bottom line on the songs. Whatever you do, you’ve got to be all-in. And it’s okay if you make a mistake. That’s what I’m looking for in a song.
CBC: You described your work as real people and real life. I’m sure, then, you must have fantastic stories from your fans about how your work has impacted them. Does any particular story stand out more than others?
RA: Oh yeah. I get so many stories. I get a lot of the, ‘Cleanin’ my gun, man, that’s me! That’s me and my daughter!’ or, ‘Watching’ You! That’s me and my son!’ Your song made me realize that they really are paying attention’. Obviously, ‘Going Through Hell,’ so many military men and women have said that they crank that song up…
CBC: That must mean the world to you. That is validation.
RA: That’s it, man. ‘These Are My People.’ I got sent a video of a graduating class from high school, and that’s what they sung together, over and over again. That’s why I have a career. That’s why I’m here. ‘Going Through Hell’ came out in 2006, in January, it’s hard to turn the radio on and hear a song from an artist from five or six years ago. It’s always the best and the newest – or, the newest is the best. Well, that’s not true.
And I’m fortunate to turn on the radio and still hear those songs. People still play them. That’s why we can still come out on the road and do this.
CBC: What artist most-influenced you coming up?
RA: Different ones in different ways, honestly. I loved Charlie Daniels and Alabama. The first country record I ever heard was buried in my parents’ collection, ‘Modern Sounds of Country & Western Music,’ by Ray Charles. I didn’t know who was signing it. I just loved the songs. Through the 80s, I had some Foreigner, some rock albums. And Garth (Brooks) was a guy that not only influenced people, but Garth inspired people. No matter what you did in your walk of life he inspired you to chase that dream.
CBC: Who do you look at right now that’s influential in country music, and is doing it the right way, the way country music is supposed to be?
(Points at himself. We share a laugh).
RA: Well, everybody veers off a little bit sometimes…
CBC: Sure. Gotta take chances sometimes…
RA: Finding incredible songs is so hard. I love Brad Paisley. He’s a great guy and incredibly talented. I like what a lot of people do. Aldean rocks. They’re bringing that excitement to the format. That’s important. I love having Darius (Rucker) in the format. That’s fun. We’ve done some guitar pulls and had a blast, and are actually talking about touring together this fall.
CBC: Last question. What, exactly, is country music to you?
RA: Country music is about being real. But you’re asking a guy who … Okay, awards shows are based in New York and LA, and I have some of the greatest fans that listen to what I do in New York and LA. But the decisions for those shows are made by other people. And they don’t consider me glitzy, or whatever it might be.
I remember writing with Ben Hayslip, doing ‘Farmer’s Daughter’, and Ben had a cut on Josh Turner, Blake Shelton at the same time – the Blake song was ‘All About Tonight’. And Ben was looking at spins. You can see who plays what. And he said, ‘Man, these guys are ahead of you on the charts – they both wound up having Number Ones with those songs. ‘Farmer’s Daughter’ never went Number One. But it outsold those.
They say it’s the flyover states that relate to me. I’ll take that any day of the week. I think that country music is about relating to the real world, not a manufactured world. It’s about a sense of community, being together. That’s what I love. That’s what country music comes down to, is relating to real people.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading what you have to say. ALso, love Rodney Atkin's music, as well as so many other country artists. I have always been able to relate to country music and the artists in this format more so thatn other formats. I have also gained so many friends through Miranda Lambert's RanFans as well as other artists fans.

    ReplyDelete