Friday, November 12, 2010

The Boomerang Effect


By Marty Smith
Country Boy Casserole


It is a common theme among jaded corporate types, stuck in a rut, staring down the cold reality of middle-age: "When I was younger, I couldn't wait to get out of there. Now, all I want to do is get back home."


I'm not sure it's as much about location as it is the prospect of simplicity, the foggy recollection of a wistful youth bursting with promise and devoid of professional or financial stress.


It's about recapturing a moment when a smile from a girl buckled your knees and nearly bowled you over with butterflies. It's about rolling down the highway with your daddy in that ol' blue Ford pickup truck at dusk, windows down, the cab brimming with the smell of fresh-cut hay and a fresh-lit Marlboro Light.


It's about following an old John Deere down a rural route at 20 mph, and being just fine with it. It's about the sweet disappointment that accompanied the conclusion of the Dukes of Hazzard, and the dreaded Dallas theme song that signaled bedtime.


I think about that life often. For 22 years I lived it.


I was raised in rural Southwest Virginia, deep in the New River Valley in a farm town called Pearisburg. Just outside my front door was a respite-leg of the Appalachian Trail, where just up the hill and around the bend weary hikers found a bed and a meal at the Catholic church.


Pearisburg in the late 80's and early 90's was the simple life. There is tremendous richness in simplicity. We had it made. But like most kids we had no concept of our blessings. Brad Paisley sang it well in "Letter to Me" -- "at 17 it's hard to see past Friday night."


In small towns all over this country, fall Friday nights are magical, the social event. Pearisburg is no different. In fact, if a robber rolled into Pearisburg on a Friday night in October, he'd have it pretty good. The place is a ghost town. Every former and current Giles High Spartan from Newport to Eggleston to White Gate to Staffordsville filled Ragsdale Field for the Fellowship of the Vicarious Ones.


And most of the participants left their front doors unlocked.


We had a stop light and a Pizza Hut, and the two-mile middle-school-to-Hardee's-and-back loop around town was the track we cruised for hours on-end in search of entertainment, by way of prayers that any cute girl as bored as we were would pay us mind.

My momma cooked dinner every day, positioned the place-settings at 5 p.m., and we sat as a family every night at 6. We ate pot roast and fried okra and corn-on-the-cob as Dan Rather told us what was going on in places we couldn't find on a map.


Speaking of Rather, he may as well be a member of my family. I saw him every day of my life for as far back as I can remember, weekends not withstanding. On Saturday and Sunday we welcomed Bob Scheiffer into the house. Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson and the Oak Ridge Boys and The Judds and Reba were all part of the family, too.


I was oblivious, couldn't see past the stop sign 100 yards from my driveway, literally or figuratively. Sure, I had big dreams. But in the midst of the small town life, big dreams seem unachievable. They're not. I'm living proof. I always wanted to be involved in professional sports, and here I am.

I am blessed beyond belief, and remember daily to appreciate the faith and experiences and relationships that built this life.

But as I ease through airport security checkpoints from coast-to-coast each week, I often think back to those Friday nights in Pearisburg, after a win and down on the riverbank with my buddies, when the biggest question facing me was whether that smile in the hallway would lead to a kiss.

23 comments:

  1. It wasn't too bad, was it? We'd be lucky to recreate it as adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you are a good writer as well as a great reporter! Love the title too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great, Marty!! Can't wait to read more!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing this, Marty. This small town girl can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I long for those simple times again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story, Marty!

    I grew up on 155 acres just north of Knoxville, and dream about getting back there. After leaving the farm, service in the National Guard has taken me to Nashville, Washington DC, Mosul Iraq, and now to Leavenworth, KS. I feel guilty that my two girls have not experienced life on the old farm, but they have had plenty of experience with moving around the country. Just wondering if they will have a boomerang effect, or a place they call home when they are our age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog entry makes me think of the Chris Knight song, 'Me and This Road.' Good stuff, Marty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your blog post, Marty. Can't wait for your ebook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had relatives in St. Paul, Castlewood, Lebanon, and Princeton, and spent many holidays and summer weekends in the area in the 70's. The St. Paul-Castlewood high school football games seemed like the Super Bowl back then! Thanks for reminding me just how special that part of the world really is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny how closely your cruise route around the Pizza Hut sounds like you were describing the one we employed in a Southwest Georgia town where teenagers in pickups set in bank parking lots watching cars go by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, love it, love it. Great entry Marty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely trip down memory lane. Family was very special way back then.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! And I live it! Just moved my family back to a town just like this. These are the memories I want for them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exactly like my town in Indiana, except our Pizza Hut is a McDonalds and on the other end is a gas station. Friday nights are the same, the Boys of Fall are our heros. After being here all my life I wonder if my Friday Night hero will stay, or venture into the wide world. I can't decide which I want for him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for bringin back the memories. Except for a couple of details that perfectly describes growing up in Jamul, CA (that's HAWmool). We only had an intersection with a gas station, Post office & country store the size of a 7-11, so we had to go to town (El Cajon) to cruise 2nd street on Sat nite. The year Dad wasn't playing in a country band we went to every the game. That was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love every minute of reading it .. look forward to many more. sounds just like my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the story Marty. I am too from a same town in Kentucky. Now living in California. But can relate to every word you have written.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice piece. You've painted a picture that takes me back! I'll be checking in often to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great read!
    i enjoyed reading this. cant wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I grew up on a farm near a small town in Indiana. Football and basketball games were the social life, and in some ways still are. While I love my life now in a community of 80,000 just outside Indianapolis, I wonder what kind of memories my son will have growing up in the fastest growing school district in the state. Marty, you may have just given me the inspiration for the blog I've been thinking of starting. Can't wait to see what you have to say next.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent blog, Marty! I grew up in a small town in Vermont, those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's funny, when I was in middle school, my parents would take my 2 little sisters and me somewhere in the evening, and Main Street, from the Kum & Go gas station to the Speedee Mart, was packed with high schoolers "cruising the main drag", as Dad called it. I could not WAIT to get my driver's license so I could do that. Then I finally got my license, and, well, it wasn't "cool" to cruise anymore. My friends and I went to bigger towns to go to the movies every weekend, or even to Omaha, the thrill of the big city!

    Now, being a married adult with a child, sometimes I long for the days before bills, rent payment, and sky-high gas prices. I actually miss sitting upstairs in my room, listening to music and my best friend breathing on the other end of the phone line for 3 hours. I miss not having a care in the world, because I had my mom and dad to take care of me. I wouldn't trade the life I have now, but sometimes I'd like to go back to my old one, just for a visit.

    ReplyDelete